Form and/or Function
Waltz is often used in traveling phrases that move from the kinesphere in the centre to moving across the floor. It incorporates balancé movements with a variety of movements, travelled vocabulary, turns and jumps.
Notes on our approach
After exploring different ways of performing the waltz quality in the waltz catalogue, we explored the dancers’ possibilities to travel through space with their waltz shifts.
Exploration and Setting:
This was a improvisation towards setting process. The dancers repeatedly performed the score and, in the process, start to select the movement elements that work best, or are of particular interest to them.
Using mainly the subdivided whole body version from the waltz catalogue exploration the dancers were asked to perform the following score:
- 2/3 (Two barres of threes): Travel straight on the diagonal
- 2/3: Travel in an upstage circle, as large as possible
- Repeat twice or until you reach the opposite downstage corner
In this series, we moved from the waltz swing exploration to developing individualised travelling phrases.
- This can be repeated with a different selection of score elements which work on other specific skill ranges e.g. turning, extensions, etc.
- The same process can of course also be applied to other movement qualities, meters and dance forms (Mazurka, Tarantella, etc.)
- As always, the movement could be set at this point, added to and exchanged in a drop and join process
- Compare this material with the final version waltz phrase
- What material did the dancers eventually keep and integrate into their version?
- Also observe how the two dancers connect and dance together even when working with different vocabulary